"Science" in India

Edwin Bryant ebryant at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 19 12:34:47 UTC 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Steve Farmer wrote:

> The unusual attraction of Indian engineers for pop-Hindu
> mythologized history (think of Rajaram, Kak, or many
> correspondents on this List) makes a lot of sense if we consider
> the current abysmal state of Indian scientific education......
> on the average what passes for scientific education in India is
> abysmally poor.

I'm not too sure what Steve Farmer's agenda is, but these remarks seem
unnecessarily provocative, inflammatory and incredibly over-generalized
(given that they seem to be based on one article in a magazine and some
anecdotal discussions with a handful of students).  So much for all the
harangues to which we have been subjected on this list about the
importance of doing thorough research on a topic before voicing an
opinion.

Edwin Bryant.