"Science" in India

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 19 12:30:55 UTC 2000

Dear Steve (Farmer),
I don't know you personally.  But that you could interview
one student in Stanford and then flood the net with opinion
on the quality of scientists and engineers of Indian origin
does not say much about your own scientific thinking.  Pardon
me for saying this, but your absurd generalizations does sound
extremely irresponsible and you must rethink your empiricism.

I have been a teacher in the US for more than twenty years and
have brushed through school systems with two children of my own.
Person to person the training in mathematics and sciences in high
schools in India would be superior to such training in public
schools in the US.  It has not to do with the resources, but the
quality of the teachers.  That the children do not rise up to continue
career of research comes from the deep economic handicap the family
faces immediately.  It's changing though.  Do interview any of the
new engineers who are flooding the US, who even do not come from
the quality schools.  Do observe the respect they gain at the
American workplace.  They do not have a research resume with them,
but certainly carry a head of objective thinking to deal with
rational logic of computing.  The keyword is "objective".

Hope you would contemplate rather than getting angry.  To make
sweeping generalizations from places of importance is not helpful
to your colleagues.  Unfortunately it conotes an attitude that
better be not displayed in public.  Hope you would rethink
and engage in a more meaningful dialog.

Best regards,

Bijoy Misra