Afghan, Baloch and Brahui

Yashwant malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Thu Oct 19 00:02:15 UTC 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:00:41 +0100, Narayan R. Joshi <giravani at JUNO.COM>
wrote:

>Dr.H.W.Bellew(TheRacesofAfghanistan,1880,London)reported that Afghan names
>of Saraban, Sharjyan, and Khrishyun were the Rajput names of Suryaban,
>Surjan,and Krishan,and that Moslems adapted the last two to Sharf-ud-din
>and Kheyr-ud-din.

It is not improbable. Mohammad Ali Jinnah, founder of Pakistan, was
son of Jinnahbhai Poonja (and grandson of Poonjabhai, a Bhatia  Rajput who
converted when he married into Ismaili Khojas).  He created his Muslim-
sounding last  name by taking part of his father's first name (actually by
dropping Bhai, when he was a student in London). I've read that his
father's  first name was really pronounced JheeNaaBhai, a common Gujarati
name. Officially  Jinnah's family now traces its origin from Iran.

Incidentally it is well known that many muslims with last name
Khan, are converts from Rajputs. Some very specific examples are
known.

Yashwant