RAJARAM EPISODE

Edwin Bryant ebryant at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Oct 1 07:15:49 UTC 2000

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, hans henrich hock wrote:

> If we fail to introduce more civility and impartiality we will not
> only talk past each other, we will actually be providing aid and
> comfort to those we are trying to combat, by creating the appearance
> that it's simply one ideologically-based and problematic approach
> opposing another one.

I too would like to beg the indulgence of this list and second these
comments.  Despite having spent most of my academic career researching the
problem of Indo-Aryan origins -- a fascinating intellectual and
historical problem -- I have become completely disillusioned, and
somewhat repulsed, by the emotional, sarcastic and condescending tenor of
much of the exchange from *both* sides of the debate in this regard. Yes,
stereotypes are simply being reinforced by all this -- western
neo-colonialist/Indian leftist Marxist vs Hindu fundamentalist/Right-wing
Nationalist.

It was Mallory, as I recall, who mentioned in one of his articles that
"History cannot be written by decibel."

Although impartiality might be asking too much, civility would be most
welcome.

Regards, Edwin Bryant