SV: RAJARAM EPISODE

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Oct 1 01:19:38 UTC 2000

I would say my two cents on people and the Rajaram episode.
Social fanatics exist and Dr. Rajaram is perhaps one of them.
Why are we politicizing this medium?  There is a whole "creationist"
lobby in the US and elsewhere.  They publish their literature,
some people subscribe them, buy them.  How does that bother me
as a scholar?  All I say that I don't agree with their conclusions
and they are obviously wrong.  The same thing can be said of
astrology columns in the newspapers. You can challenge any advertisement
of any kind for that matter. Social reform is a political
process and people spending their time and others' time on the topic
seems useless to me.  There was a talk of what passes on as scholarly work
in this forum and the constant badger as to who are scholars.
The present discussion does not present any facet of scholarship
by the individuals concerned.

Dr Rajaram probably has some social standing and the critics are
concerned if he would increase his standing by tampering with the facts.
There is a tacit assumption that others in India would close their eyes
unless people from Indology group tell them.  You reject his paper
if he it comes to publication, but why denigrate him in a medium
where he is not a member.

Sorry if I sound rude.  But this is my candid opinion.  I have
no idea of the critics' agenda.  Looks reactionary to me.  The
proper course would be to publish what you think is right and not
get to political journalism.

Regards,

Bijoy Misra