SV: SV: Caucasian genes in Dravidian wombs

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ELENDER.HU
Thu Nov 30 12:13:32 UTC 2000

Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan [SMTP:vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK] skrev 30. november 2000
12:52:
> >This is contradicted by your own quotation. Caucasian is not a PC for
> >Aryan. It is an old-fashioned term for "white", coined about two-hundred
> >years ago. It would also include typical non-Aryans like Finns and
Basques.

> Would you also include as "typical aryans" the black, mulatto and latino
> populations of the Americas since English/Spanish/French/Portugese is
their
> mother tongue?

I think you are mixing up the concepts of "race" versus language/language
family. A black American speaking English (or Spanish) speaks an
Indo-European language (Aryan, or rather Indo-Aryan being reserved for the
Aryan languages of India). But a black American is obviously not an
Indo-European or a "Caucasian" in racial terms, he is an African. The
relationship between "race" and language has been discussed on this list
before. I suggest you take a look at the archives. Mind you, the term
"race" is complicated and fraught with difficulties. After multivariate
analysis was introduced in the late fourties, it became clear that there
are a number of different criteria (not only skin colour) that can form the
basis of a racial definition. Biologists disagree about the number of human
races, and Africans vary considerably between themselves.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo