Original language of Yoga Suutra

Dmitri dmitris at PIPELINE.COM
Thu Nov 30 01:36:36 UTC 2000

On Fri, 1 Jan 1904 00:24:44 -0600, Stuart Ray Sarbacker
<srsarbac at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU> wrote:

>>Is it beyond doubts that Sanskrit is the original language of Yoga Suutra?
>>Is it possible that it is a translation from some other language?
>
>There's an interesting recent article on the YS as being an extension
>of a Indo-European tradition.  It doesn't definitively address
>language but looks at "cognate" themes in the YS and the Odyssey
>among other references.  N.J. Allen "The Indo-European prehistory of
>yoga," International Journal of Hindu Studies 2, 1 (April 1998): 1-20.
>
>As far as I know there are suggestions of the YS being an extension
>of earlier Sanskrit sources (Hiranyagarbha, etc.) and its ideas being
>pre-Indo-European...but non-Sanskrit YS "text" I have not heard of.
>Have you found something to suggest this?
>
>all the best,
>
>Stuart

Thanks for your response. I'll try to get hold of this article.

I have not found anything factual to suggest that YS was originally written
in other than SKT language. This possibility occured to me as the result of
my attempts to interprete YS independently from Vyaasa commentary.
The text has peculiar structure with a lot of ellipsis-like gaps
that might be the result of translation from other language while attempting
to make word-by-word translation. That is all.

So I decided to make a little excursion into the textual history of it.

Best regards, Dmitri.