Original language of Yoga Suutra

Stuart Ray Sarbacker srsarbac at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Thu Nov 30 00:37:45 UTC 2000

>Is it beyond doubts that Sanskrit is the original language of Yoga Suutra?
>Is it possible that it is a translation from some other language?

There's an interesting recent article on the YS as being an extension
of a Indo-European tradition.  It doesn't definitively address
language but looks at "cognate" themes in the YS and the Odyssey
among other references.  N.J. Allen "The Indo-European prehistory of
yoga," International Journal of Hindu Studies 2, 1 (April 1998): 1-20.

As far as I know there are suggestions of the YS being an extension
of earlier Sanskrit sources (Hiranyagarbha, etc.) and its ideas being
pre-Indo-European...but non-Sanskrit YS "text" I have not heard of.
Have you found something to suggest this?

all the best,

Stuart

[admin note: changed date from Fri, 1 Jan 1904 00:24:44 -0600]