mtDNA analysis of Indian populations

Geeta Bharathan geeta at LIFE.BIO.SUNYSB.EDU
Wed Nov 29 20:08:15 UTC 2000

You might be interested in a recent article:

Susanta Roychoudhury et al 2000.
Fundamental genomic unity of ethnic India is revealed by analysis of
mitochondrial DNA
Current Science Vol 79 No 9: 1182-1192.

You can download it from:
http://www.iisc.ernet.in/~currsci/nov102000/contents.htm

I have not read the article in detail, but it seems to be well done.
Nevertheless, I would be cautious about making generalizations based on single
genes/genomes, including in the European study cited below. It still is one
line of evidence, and one that still is fragmentary.

--Geeta

Geeta Bharathan
Assistant Professor
Department of Ecology & Evolution