heliocentrism--predating Copernicus

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Nov 29 05:59:23 UTC 2000

At 04:25 AM 11/28/2000 +0000, Satya Upadhya wrote:
>The only clear and unambiguous exposition of the sun being the centre of the
>universe, in Indian writings, is to be found in the writings of Aryabhata I
>(circa 5th century A.D.)afaik.  Check out his "Aryabhatiya" if you wish to
>read the original material.

Seven years ago (Tue, 26 Oct 1993 08:20:49 -9000), in response to a similar
question, Michio Yano wrote the following:

What is to be noted first is that Aryabhata's view is not 'heliocentric'
but he just maintained that the earth rotates on its axis. There is no clue
in Aryabhata's Aryabhatiya about how he got this idea. But we suspect that
the idea was transmitted from Greek astronomy where similar idea was
offered by Aristarchos. It is interesting to note that the Indian way of
objecting this idea is very similar to that given by Ptolemy. I have
written a paper on this topic: YANO, Michio "Aryabhata's possible Rebuttal
to Objections tohis Theory of Rotation of the Earth", Historia Scientiarum
19 (1980), pp.101-5.
Michio YANO, Professor of Sanskrit, Kyoto Sangyo Univesity.
yanom at kyoto-su.ac.jp
_________

Where exactly in the AryabhaTIya do you see this "clear and unambiguous"
reference to heliocentrism?

Best,

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
University of California, Berkeley