Word for Heart

Sat Nov 25 08:01:47 UTC 2000

RM. Krishnan <poo at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN> wrote:

>In those tougher times, men getting killed must be  a frequent phenomenon
>for a band of Homo Sapiens. I find it to be natural that heart is named
>kuruthayam by extension from kuruthi. One does not have to understand the
>pumping mechanism for naming. Just bleeding is enough.

Would you agree that bleeding will occur from a wound anywhere in the body?

Think of the enormous effort it would take to go through the sternum and the
rib-cage before hitting the heart. In a hunting/fighting situation, it would
be far easier to mortally wound the abdomen and hurt the stomach or liver or
intestines. A great deal of blood loss would result and death would rapidly
follow. It is not clear why the heart (and not any other organ) should have
been named after the phenomenon of bleeding.

Vidyasankar