Differences between oral and written Taittiriya Samhita

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Nov 23 03:50:25 UTC 2000

This is just to confirm my previous observation on the recitation of the
Rudra section of the Taittiriiya Samhitaa.  I have checked my copy of the
Kramapaa.tha of this section of the TS published from Madras in 1970 by
Giri Trading Agency, Religious Book Sellers/Publishers, pp. 4-5.  Consider
the oral version offered by Harry Spier:

> Oral version taittiriya samhita
> namo hiraNyabAhave senAnye dizAm ca pataye namo / 4.5.2.1
> namo vRkSebhyo harikezebhyaH pazUnAm pataye namo/ 4.5.2.2

As I suspected, the Kramapaa.tha for this section treats the subsections
of 4.5.2 as continuous segments and reads for example:  ca-pataye /
pataye-nama.h / namo-nama.h / namo-v.rk.sebhya.h /  etc.  Only at the very
end of the last subsection of 4.5.2 does one find nama-iti-nama.h
repetition marking the "avasaana" (end of passage).  This confirms the
textual assumptions of the oral tradition.  Best,

                                        Madhav Deshpande