towards a new indology

Ven. Tantra troyoga at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 18 06:52:38 UTC 2000

Re.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011&L=indology&D=1&O=D&P=47831

P. Ernest wrote:

1. <<The proposed criteria for admission are certainly
breathtaking: the new list will probably be as
sparsely populated as the Calvinist heaven.>>

Here it is precisely. They have put themselves into a
very fine mess. But again, this is fundamentally an
ethnic-White or "westerner" problem; and one that they
had better get over pretty quick. It's preposterous.
Listen. What "some" are proposing amounts to nothing
less than a "fortress listserv" mirroring the
traditional "exclusive enclave" concept of _global
rule by a minority of superior beings_. Ladies and
gentlemen, let's get real. We are standing at the
threshold of an entirely new Indology where the
romantic myth of *scholarship* can no longer be
accepted as a valid methodology. Unprepared members
might consider skulking elsewhere.

2. <<In fact, I've been struck by the decency with
which this proposal has been discussed on the list. .
.probably because some Buddhologists are also
practicing Buddhists. . . May these on-list
negotiations continue to be conducted with compassion
for us mere streamwinners.>>

Excuse us again sir, but the "contentions homily"
simply doesn't accord with advanced methodology. This
is nothing personal. This is universal.

VT