First Indian periodical "Tamil Magazine" acquired at LOC.

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Fri Nov 17 21:31:51 UTC 2000

I would like to announce our acquisition of a complete run of what
according to my sources is the first periodical in a South Asian
language:

LC Control Number:       00207262
Type of Material:        Serial (Periodical, Newspaper, etc.)
Main Title:              Palavita nanapotakam : attavanai / M.R.T.S.
Variant Title:           Nanapotakam
Published/Created:       Madras : Printed at the Church Mission
Press, [1831-1840]
Related Names:           Madras Religious Tract Society.
                                    Madras Tract and Book Society.
                         No. 1 (May 1831)-no. 36 (Nov. 1840).
Current Frequency:       Irregular
Notes:                   In Tamil.
                         "Printed at the Church Mission Press for the
Madras Religious                             Tract Society," May
1831-Nov. 1838; "Printed at the American Church Mission Press for the
Madras Tract and Book Society," Mar. 1839-Nov. 1840.
LC Classification:       AP95.T3 P33
Other System No.:        (OCoLC)ocm44648674
CALL NUMBER:             AP93.T3 P33 Tam Cage
                         Set 1
                         Available upon request from the Custodial
area.
-- Request in:           Reference - Asian Reading Room (Jefferson,
LJ150)

It is in superb condition.  The binding is quite tight and it will
not immediately be possible to microfilm it, but we plan to when
cameras that can correct for the distortion are acquired, which is
under consideration.  It will not of course be lent out.

Allen Thrasher

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.

Senior Reference Librarian       101 Independence Ave., SE
Southern Asia Section               LJ-150
Asian Division                            Washington, DC 20540-4810
Library of Congress                     U.S.A.
tel. 202-707-3732                       fax 202-707-1724
Email: athr at loc.gov

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the
Library of Congress.