towards a list, etc.

Phillip Ernest phillip.ernest at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Nov 17 18:07:58 UTC 2000

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Ven. Tantra wrote:

> Sir, this is simply not the appropriate arena for
> accomplishing private jihad.

In fact, I've been struck by the decency with which this proposal has been
discussed on the list.  Maybe the tone of the discussion is owed to the
fact that the inspiration for a professional list came from the split of
the Buddhology list: that process seems to have been conducted very
decently, probably because some Buddhologists are also practicing
Buddhists.

The proposed criteria for admission are certainly breathtaking: the new
list will probably be as sparsely populated as the Calvinist heaven.
Still, if there are people who feel that all but five percent of the posts
to this list are irrelevant to them, another one definitely needs to be
founded.  I hope that the members of this list will be told how they can
obtain 'lurker' status.

May these on-list negotiations continue to be conducted with compassion
for us mere streamwinners.

P. Ernest