Indology's Future?

Brian Akers Sfauthor at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 15 18:51:31 UTC 2000

In a message dated 11/15/00 9:00:55 AM, VVRSPS at RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU writes:

>3. Maybe it is time ask Western scholars to curtail, indeed extinguish,
>their interest in non-Western cultures and histories, and let each group
write
>its own history the way it thinks is appropriate or truthful. Maybe Western
>scholars should be asked to get out of our arena and be concerned with
>only their own histories.

The world does not work like this.

>4. My own feeling is that when the present generation of Western scholars
>of Indology and of other non-Westernology pass away, there may not be too
>many of this species left.  . . . . one sees no reason why universities
>in the West should be expending vast amounts of money to <train> scholars
>in non-Western studies.

There may be few left primarily because Western universities do *not* spend
vast amounts of money training and--more importantly--employing such
scholars. Look at any university's budget and you will see that the amount
spent is statistically insignificant. (Or, as they would say in Florida these
days, well within the margin of error.)

All the best,

Brian

Brian Dana Akers