Indology's Future?

Phillip Ernest phillip.ernest at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Nov 15 16:02:19 UTC 2000

What about individuals, as opposed to whole cultures and institutions, who
are just interested in what they don't know?  I learned Sanskrit because I
love Indian poetry, I study Indology because it is fascinating to me, as
are many things that are alien to the cultural matrix that produced me.  I
understand the resentment and fear of Indologists of South Asian ethnic
heritage, but do you think it is really progressive for everyone to remain
in his own corner of the world, and tell himself that it is an act of
aggression to be interested in what's over the hill?  This seems a
nightmarishly extreme view.