Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 14 23:28:15 UTC 2000

Dear Dr. Kaldhol,

Just clicking the following web pointers from Indology archives
may be useful to you in the search of Aryan words in Hurrian.
Carruba (email: ocarruba at unipv.it.) paper will throw more
light. Summary from a lister of Carruba?

This is where Carruba presented first:
http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/curric/erl-97b.html

Are these published in these proceedings of the volume?
10.00 - 10.25 Alexander Lubotsky (Leiden): The Vedic root v `to
cover' and its present
9.00 -  9.50 Sektion B: Peter Raulwing / Robert Oberheid (Bonn):
Der Kikkuli-Text und die Rolle der Indoarier im altorientalischen
Fuhrwesen - Einige Bemerkungen zu neueren hippologischen und
philologischen Interpretationen

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9805&L=indology&P=R26970
" on that word wasanna (Iranian *wazana "road") that the
Aryan layer in Mitanni is closer to Iranian than Indo-Aryan.  A
somewhat provocative conclusion, to be sure, but I'd say the
linguistical basis for considering it specifically Indo-Aryan (aika-)
is equally shaky."

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9805&L=indology&P=R25281
>Michael, ... Am I to interpret that as that you agree with me that the IE
>element in Mitanni Hurrian is *Indo-Iranian* not necessarily Indo-Aryan
>(after all, Proto-Indo-Iranian "1" may have been *aika, right?)?

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9805&L=indology&P=R27033
M. Witzel:
> > At any rate, the form of the IIr language in Mitanni is pre-Vedic : >
>IIr sounds are preserved, *zdh, in Priyamazda ::  Ved. priyamedha > ::
>Avest. -mazda...
Thus, in sum: "Mitanni-Aryan" has the pre-Vedic stage Also
characterized by aika (not aiva, aivaka!). -az- is not found in Ved.
any more. And that development has been used to build a whole new
class of perfects. A wide gap separates the Mitanni and RV forms of
IA. (implications for dating??)

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9810&L=indology&P=R12561
But before we accept it, we have to explain away somehow
the fact that the "Mitanni Indo-Aryan" cannot be reduced just to
several numerals in Kikkuli's manual and several divine names in a
treaty, and there is also a number of personal names of Mittanian
rulers and nobles which betray their Indo-Aryan origin. Of special
significance are such names as bArdazwa, son of BiridAzwa, and Saumati
- probably "son of Sumati" - the names demonstrating the specifically
Indo-Aryan way of forming patronimics to personal names by lengthening
a vowel of the first sillable of a composit name (cf. Indian
*vArddgAzva from *vRddhAzva, or *saumati from sumati). One has also to
explain the presense at that time in Mitanni and some neighbouring
countries of people with such names as bIrasEna, indrota, artazzumara
and so on.

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9805&L=indology&P=R23371
Quote from Harmatta leads Prof. Sn. Subrahmanya to claim:
>Because of this evidence, I think that the dating of the Rgveda
>to 1500-1200 is a gross underestimation.

Prof. Drews on a late PIE breakup:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9810&L=indology&P=R10374

Piotr's "why marianna isn't aristocracy"
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9810&L=indology&P=R12604

Prof. Vassilkov's personal note about Mitanni Aryans:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9810&L=indology&P=R13083

I.M. Diakonoff, JAOS, 1995 (as given by Prof. S. Palaniappan)
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9810&L=indology&P=R13304
In "Two Recent Studies of Indo-Iranian Origins", JAOS, 115.3, (1995),
p.474-475, Igor M. Diakonoff says,
"Actually, there was no "Aryan" population or dynasty at Nuzi and
Arraphe: all "Indo-Aryan" names which are registered in Nuzi Personal
Names (whence they have been quoted by all subsequent scholars)
belong  to one Mitannian detachment which fled to Arraphe (during
a civil war in Mitanni) together with the pretender Sattiwasa, and
which disappeared  together with him. Sattiwasa, alone in a single
chariot, finally met the Hittite king and concluded a treaty with
him (on the latter's consditions). This treaty is preserved  and is
witnessed by a multitude of both Hittite and Hurrian gods; the four
"Indo- Aryan" deities are mentioned near the very end of the huge
list.

Prof. Vassilkov's reply to Sn. Subrahmanya:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9805&L=indology&P=R23874

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9810&L=indology&P=R12798
Dr. S. Kalyanaraman concludes the Aristocracy was Aryan, as opposed to
the ordinary Hurrians.
" the vedic gods might have been added in to connote the
gods'list of the nobility, while the Hurrian gods were those
of the 'Hurri people'. "

Regards,
V. Iyer