Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Tue Nov 14 16:52:49 UTC 2000

Further complications arise from the fact that interpretations of
putative Indo-Iranian words/names in the Middle East start from the
assumption that Iranian origin can be excluded if the words in
question lack specific Iranian developments (such as s > h).
However, this assumption is valid only if we can be sure that these
developments *must* have taken place before the attestations of these
words.  In this regard, note that Elamite renditions of Persian words
suggest that the change s > h postdates Persian-Elamite contact.  As
I see it, the only word that could be argued to be unambiguously
Indo-Aryan is the aika- of Kikkuli--unless both aika- and aiwa-
coexisted in an as yet underdifferentiated Indo-Iranian.  In this
regard note Skt. eva 'alone, only, etc.' which suggests that both
aika- and aiwa- survived into Indo-Aryan and that they must therefore
have been a common property of Indo-Iranian as well.

Here as elsewhere it is, I believe, desirable to apply much stricter
criteria of evidence than have been traditionally applied, lest we
continue arguing about issues that cannot be meaningfully resolved on
the basis of the known evidence.

Best wishes,

Hans Henrich Hock

--

Hans Henrich Hock, Director
Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
e-mail hhhock at staff.uiuc.edu
***Visit our website at:
           http://www.uiuc.edu/providers/psames/