Black and Bright and Beautiful

RM. Krishnan poo at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Nov 14 01:31:28 UTC 2000

At 11:38 AM 11/13/00 -0500, you wrote:

>2. One may still ask if  there are Tamil Brahmins who would name their
>children
>karuppan? And if not, why not? Please understand that I am not here to pass
>value judgments, to attacking or defend anybody, much less to pick up a fight,
>I am just wondering.
>
>V. V. Raman
>November 13, 2000

Without knowing (?) the basic meaning, Tamil Brahmins (especially the
mothers) do call children as 'kaNNa'. They think they are referring to
Krishna. But then both Krishna and kaNNa are different rendering of the
same. - black. It is as if calling a child with love as 'Blacky'.

Interesting, is it not? 'En kaNNullE, En kaNNuk kutti'

With regards,
irAma.ki
(Krishnan alias kaNNan)