Scenario of language replacement

Arun Gupta suvidya at OPTONLINE.NET
Sat Nov 11 13:47:51 UTC 2000

In http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9811&L=indology&P=R5627
Miguel Vidal wrote :

"But I do agree with Renfrew that there's a striking similarity
 between the expansion of Indo-European languages across Europe and
 the expansion of agriculture across the same area."

So, amend my previous statement, striking Renfrew and stating : if, in the
West, Indo-European languages spread along with agriculture, then the
language replacement scenario in Italy or Greece is not parallel to that in
India.

To make elite dominance work we have to figure out how the migrating Indo-
Aryans became the elite.  We also have to demonstrate the incentive (rise in
social status, income, freedom from persecution, etc.) that the speaker of
the indigenous language had to adopt the incursing language.  If Indo-Aryan
society had high (caste) barriers to social mobility, as we are taught, how
did elite dominance work ?

-Arun Gupta