Analogies,valid and invalid (was Re: Scenario of language replacement)

Fri Nov 10 06:04:08 UTC 2000

>To speak of "migration" rather than "invasion", therefore, is to
>refrain from making inferences not supported by the evidence; it does
>not mean invasions have been ruled out.

Thank you for explaining the meanings of the words migration
and invasion. FYKI, I know sufficient English to know what these
words mean. Personally, I don't care whether Indo-Aryan speakers
migrated into south Asia or invaded south Asia. Still, I would
like to see some rigor in the discussion, because I am curious
to learn.

When it is said that arguing against the Aryan Invasion Theory
is like flogging a dead horse, it seems to me that invasion has
been ruled out, presumably for good reasons. The dichotmomy that
you attribute to me is not of my creation. I would like to see
a professional Indologist who prefers to talk of an Aryan
Migration Theory explicitly accept that invasion(s) have not
been ruled out. Till such time, I do no more than agree with
the points raised by Gupta.

Regards,
Vidyasankar