History of the religeous title bhagavAn

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 9 00:46:40 UTC 2000

Dear list members,

I have to write a few words about the religeous title "bhagavAn" .  I've
just come across a note by J. Gonda in "Visnuism and Sivaism" that in
addition to its use by Visnuites, it was occasionally used in connection
with Siva (with a reference to ShvetAshvatara Upanishad 3,11).  Would any of
the list members know:

1) Is this ref. ShV. Up. 3,11 the earliest occurance of the term in the
literature?  If not, then what is its earliest occurance in the literature?

2) Would the Buddhist use of the term come earlier or later than its usage
as a title of Vishnu?

3) Was it used as a title of other avatars of Vishnu other than Krishna?

4) Was it used as a title of other Gods than Vishnu (other than the
occasional reference to Shiva noted by Gonda)?

5) Did it ever occur as other than a religeous title.  I've also come across
a note by A.L. Basham that he believes the term "bhagavAn" originated as the
title of  feudal lords who shared their spoils with their followers.

6) Was it also used as a title of human saints in pre-modern times?

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.
Hurleyville, New York