Dasyus and PaNis inRV

Narayan R. Joshi giravani at JUNO.COM
Wed Nov 8 04:38:57 UTC 2000

The academic understanding of the words"anasa" and "daasyu" has gone
through a major change(Vidyasankar Sundaresan-Nov.7).Now the ancient Indian
Dravidians are not to be grouped with RV Daasas and Dasyus. But I am
puzzled by the following references(Substrate Languages in Old Indo-Aryan-
Prof.Witzel-p.35)--"The non-IA Kiika.ta or the PaNi are clearly described
as foreigners(late RV hymn 6.45.31), and even later, in the Mantra and YV
Samhitaa period, the Ni.saadha in the Chambal area(MS2.9.5 etc) and other
dasyu enemies in (RV 10.61.8) as well the south (i.e. the area souhth of
Kuruk.setra)....".Do the above sentences mean that PaNis and Dasyus were
located east of Khyber pass within the Indian sub-continent? Please correct
my interpretation if wrong.
   It was also postulated in the above paper that Dravidian migration from
Central Asia to the Indian sub-continent via the land of the ancient
Baluchistan took place roughly between 4000 BCE and 1500BCE prior to the
Aryan migration(no invasions or aggressions anymore-Western scholarship
moved ahead).Long long ago it was accepted (not anymore)in the pre-history
of India that white or fair color Aryan Indra destroyed forts of flatnose,
dark color, curly hair Dravidians.To the best of my knowledge, the ancient
Central Asia(around 4000 BCE) did not show any signs of being populated by
the people with features and skin color attached to the ancient Dravidians.
Did the ancient Dravidians develop these features after entering the Indian
sub-continent?To the best of my knowledge the ancient people from Central
Asia were fair in color with respect to the average dark/brown color of the
ancient Indians.The dark/brown population of Makuran coast could be due to
the migrations from Oman/Yemen/Arabia regions in the known history.Now AIT
is gone and AMT might be on the way to go.Will DMT(Dravidian Migration
Theory) face the same future?Please correct my thinking if wrong.I would
like to remain in step with New Scholarship and I do not want to fight the
battles of the last century. Thanks.