Siva and Vishnu (was: Kinship systems)

V.V. Raman VVRSPS at RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU
Mon Nov 6 19:04:13 UTC 2000

caiva camayam
As I had pointed out in an earlier posting, in classical Tamil, one used words
like words caivam or caivamadam or caiva camayam, and vainavam or vainavamadam
or vainava camayam to connote these words. SaivasiddhAntam refers to the
philosophical/ metaphysical underpinnings of saivam.
Now may I know the thrust of this question? What exactly are we trying to prove
or disprove by the fact that these words are to be found in ancient Tamil
writings?
Personally I rather doubt that metaphysical, doctrinal, and sectarian
divisions/animosities between saivaites and vainavaites were brought about
in the
Tamil country by the British or their agents. And I am not sure if or how
well this view will be in harmony with current versions of Hindu history.
In fact, I would appreciate any comments on this.
V. V. Raman
November 6, 2000