Siva and Vishnu (was: Kinship systems)

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 6 19:04:34 UTC 2000

--- Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan <vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:55:31 GMT, N. Ganesan <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
..> >The problem may be due to incorrect usage of transliteration in
> >Cologne tamil e-base.
>
> Well, I was expecting a few from the hundreds of examples which you know
> i.e. of the usage of the words Saivam and VaiNavam.
>
> Instead of keeping upto the point, you are blaming me and the Cologne e-
> base.
For the occurrence of the word "vaiNavam"
from cologne digital tamil textbase:
http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/ttt_search.html

The saivite text KantapurANam (approx 10-11th century CE):

Qkan3120x3 \BT neRi varum av Alayattil ceRikin2Ra vaiNavarkaL neTitu nOkkic \et
[a rough and verbatim translation: "...in that temple, the thronging Vainavites
stared..."]

Other occurrences are from tiruviLaiyATar purANam,
a very staunch Saivite text that of course describes the 64 leelas of Siva in
Madurai:

#1:  Qtiv23x11x3x1438x3 \BT coRRa tantira vaiNavat toTakkuNTu tiriyum \et
#2: Qtiv23x7x2x1434x2 \BT varuvatu Aka agku oru pakal vaiNavap paTivap \et
#3: Qtiv23x14x4x1441x4 \BT pollArAy vaiNavattup pukku ozuku tAy tantai poRArkaL
Aki \et
#4: Qtiv23x31x4x1458x4 \BT van2pu pUNTu ozuku vaiNavam pUNTu poRai irakka mAn2a
nIttOr \et
Note that occurrences #3 and #4 very clearly denigrate Vainavism:
#3: pollArAy = "behaving like evil men"
that is "Entering Vainavism and behaving like evil men and not even able to
bear their own mothers and fathers..."

#4 means: "[they], having undertaken to follow Vainavism that bears evil
[ways], renounced [tha virtues of ] patience, mercy and self-respect".

Being nearly 1000 years old that should serve the purpose at hand I suppose
(whatever it may be:-)).

Regards
P. Chandrasekaran.