Siva and Vishnu (was: Kinship systems)

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 6 18:48:04 UTC 2000

--- Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan <vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:55:31 GMT, N. Ganesan <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM>
> wrote:

> >The problem may be due to incorrect usage of transliteration in
> >Cologne tamil e-base.
>
> Well, I was expecting a few from the hundreds of examples which you know
> i.e. of the usage of the words Saivam and VaiNavam.
>
> Instead of keeping upto the point, you are blaming me and the Cologne e-
> base.

Offhand I can recall PeriyapurANam (medieval..12th century CE?), the classic
saiva hagiography by cEkkizAr, employing the word "caivam" in the phrase "caiva
neRi tazaittu OGka" ("in order to make the path of Saivism thrive...") when
referring to JAn2acampantar's birth.

P. Chandrasekaran