Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

Subrahmanya S. subrahmanyas at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 6 14:00:00 UTC 2000

>From: Michael Witzel <witzel at FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
>
>Forms that are older than Rgvedic, as in Mitanni: IE  g'h >  Indo-Iranian
>j'h > pre-Rgvedic z'h > RV h :
>
> > In short: if Mitanni has, by 1400 BC, mazda, vaz'hana, then the RV
>medha,
> > vaahana is *late*/later.

Question to MW: Is it not possible that Mittani basically has
archaic forms because it is in the periphery.

Also, I do not see how you can draw any conclusions about
the age of the RV itself from this ? Unless, you have some other
independent way.

FYI - This question is really to know the answer coz I am
curious, it is not a rhetorical one.

Regards,
Subrahmanya