[ADMIN] HTML Based Email (AOL 6.0)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Nov 4 09:42:24 UTC 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, David Salmon wrote:

[...]
> Users who can't handle HTML email need to catch up; times have changed.

That's not it.  This issue isn't the handling of HTML, which is, I agree,
pretty easy.  (Though one should never underestimate the extent to which
simple dumb or DOS terminals are still in wide use.)

Far more problematic is the increase in bandwidth, which more than doubles
when an HTML copy of the message is added to the plain text version, and
the serious security threat to listserve systems because of the HTML
<SCRIPT> construct, which is an open door to hackers.  The latter problem
is the main reason that HTML email is so deprecated by majordomo and
listserve managers.

There is no serious reason for INDOLOGY members to pay the price of
bandwidth (which is still a very serious issue) and security for the
dubious benefit of being able to put a word in bold display type.  One can
do this in any case using MIME quoted-printable encoding, I believe.

HTML really is a complete waste of space in email.  As far as I can see,
the main proponents of it are companies like MS and AOL who need to be
able to send garish flashing advertisements to us as email.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.