Book wanted

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Fri Nov 3 11:20:58 UTC 2000

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Harry Spier wrote:

> I have been told that the following book is unavailable.
>
> English translation of Bharatiya Jyotish Sastra (History of Indian
> Astronomy) Translated by R.V. Vaidya . Issued under the authority of the
> Director General of Meterology, New Delhi, India.  Published by Controller
> of Publications, Civil Lines, Delhi, 1981.  2 Volumes.

This seems to be the work of Shankar Balkrishna Dikshit (maybe Sankara
Balakrsna Diksita or other slightly differing forms in some
catalogues; the Libr. of Congress has: Dikshita, Sankara Balakrshna). It
was originally published in Marathi in the year 1896, see e.g. the bibliography in David
Pingree: Census of the exact Sciences in Sanskrit, Series A,
vol. 1. Philadelphia 1970, p. 9. There is a Hindi translation by Sivnath
Jharkhandi (originally publ. 1957, the Library of Congress has a
repr. from 1963).

The English translation you have seen was published in two volumes in the
years 1969 and 1981. There the author's name is given as: Dikshit, Sankar
Balakrishna.

It is perhaps available from an antiquarian booksellers. The online search
systems (like bookfinder or bibliofind) does not seem to find it,
however. But not all booksellers participate in these online systems, so
it may be available somewhere. It may help to contact Indian vendors
of used/antiquarian books, too.

Peter Wyzlic

--
Peter Wyzlic
Indologisches Seminar, Universitaet Bonn