Mnemonics in Ancient India

Mahinda Palihawadana mahipal at LANKA.CCOM.LK
Sun May 28 07:22:18 UTC 2000

Now that the List has been discussing the mnemonic tradition of the Vedic
period, I would like to draw attention to how the Buddhists appropriated
and adapted this tradition and also linked 'text' recitation to protection
and blessing - some aspects of which I have discussed in a paper appearing
in Recent Researches in Buddhist Studies, Essays in Honour of Professor Y.
Karunadasa, ed. Bhikkhu Kuala Lumpur Dhammajoti et al, publ Y Karunadasa
Fel. Comm., Colombo in collab. w/ Chi Ying Foundation, Hong Kong, 1997. Pp
493 - 515. The paper is entitled Pali Sajjhaaya and Sanskrit Svaadhyaaya:
An Inquiry into the Historical Origins of Parittaana Recitation.

Mahinda Palihawadana