Azerbaijan Hindu Fire-Temple ( Re: Zoroastrians in othe countries)

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Fri May 26 20:22:02 UTC 2000

Rustam Masalewala wrote:

>>The first account of Baku fire-temple, owned by Hindu
>>traders, is found in 17th century.
>I wonder if it had any connection with Zoroastrian
>religion. I would think it probably had.

What I have found suggests that it was basically supported
by Hindu traders from Punjab/Multan, although there is
one mention of Parsees of Bombay supporting a person
there.

Now the Khatri traders, who have had a long presence
in central Asia, are devout Hindu. They are among the
extremely few non-Brahmins who have traditionally
studied the Vedas.

But consider this. Raja Vanabihari Kapur has written
that all the major names of the Khatri clans are derived
from the names of lord Sun, like Tandon is from
Martanda etc. We can question his views but Mehra
is indeed likely derived from "Mihr", the signature
term of Shakdvipis/Bhojakas. That would suggest
that they may have had some connection with Mitra
(Sun) worship. They thus could represent a Vedic-
Zoroastrian link.

>Are there any functioning fire-temples in China?
>Someone told me there may be some, but that is hard
>to believe.

In a way, there are.

In China there is a temple (Buddhist) where a flame
is always kept lit in front of the "Buddha of Light",
portrayed as a bearded individual. Some think he
represents Mani, founder of a religion that can be
considered a branch of Zoroastrianism.

The Fodo-myoo (God of fire) is worshiped at Naritasan
Shinshiji temple, in form of fire. I don't know of a
direct  connection to Zoroastrianism.

Yashwant