Kabir For Hindu Temple Library?

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Sun May 21 20:53:42 UTC 2000

About Samar's comments:

There are shlokas stating something similar to
"a low-caste leather worker who has a guru is better than a
high-caste Brahmin without one."

I don't think there are many Hindus who will not accept
Raidas as a distinguished teacher. How many Hindus ask
what caste are Sathya Sai Baba or Ammachi? Have
they rejected Vivekanada, Maharshi Mahesh Yogi, Swami
Chinmayananda because they were not born Brahmins?

Incidentally poet Rasakhan was a Muslim. The famous
song "man ta.Dapat hari darsan ko aaj" was written by
Shakil Badayuni, this fact has never bothered  Hindus.

It is true that Brahmins have dominated Hinduism and they
still do. Buddhist texts show that in time of Buddha,
Brahmins received considerable respect. Some of the
respect they get, is well earned.

All Kabirpanthis that I have heard about are Hindu.
I know of no Muslim Kabirpanthis. I have a copy
of Kabir's Bijak. It would be considered blasphemy
in Pakistan. It also criticizes many Hindu practices
and believes. Such criticism is accepted in Hinduism.

He was not a sufi. He never belonged to a Sufi order.

Incidentally, Kabir was aware of the Jains and he
has criticised them too. Kabir's precurser was a Jain
monk named Ram-Sinha (and not the Buddhist maha-siddhas
as is often believed). He does not appear to have been
aware of Buddhism, as far as I can tell.

Yashwant