Impact of mantra recital, etc.

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at GMX.LI
Tue May 16 06:06:00 UTC 2000

Am 12 May 2000, um 21:51 schrieb Vidyasankar Sundaresan:

> were a vipassana teacher, I would find disadvantages with TM too.

> And vice versa, I may add. There are deep-rooted religious

> politics going on in the background, as far as such claims are

> concerned.

</color>This is a very relevant observation. Perhaps we should say that
even more than "politics", commerce and marketing are involved.
TM has been marketed very well, and therefore it has drawn a lot of
attention and is the best known meditational system from India in
the West in recent times. As a result, even if there are more than
"600 published scientific studies" on TM, the sheer number should
not convince us that TM in itself is superior to other systems as a
method. (To give a parallel illustration: the Bible has been
translated more than any other book, and very scrupulously too.
This is no proof that Christianity is a superior religion, or that the
Bible is the best piece of world literature.)

I would actually go one step further than Vidyasankar Sundaresan
and assume that the "politics", "marketing" etc. are crucial in
determining the effectiveness and personal desirability of a method.
For instance, speaking for myself: I find it suspect that an
organisation that says so much about ancient Indian and 'Vedic'
this-and-that under the leadership of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
cannot get its Sanskrit sandhi right (unlike, e.g., Ramana
Maharshi. Observant readers will already have understood what I
mean). This one detail is so disturbing that I will never be able to
trust the leader or his organisation fully, even if most of what they
say proves to be no nonsense; and this disturbance is bound to
affect the efficaciousness of their methods in my individual case.

(The above is *not* an invitation for TM justifications such as
"sandhi is old-fashioned", "the guru knows best", "you must be
wrong because you aren't an Indian", etc. I have heard them all
before, and they do not convince.)

Given the huge variety of such possible individual variables that
those 600 studies can be (assuming that the word "scientific"
means, as seems to be customary on this anglosaxon list,
"materially countable / measurable with the use of machines").

RZ

<nofill>
Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institut fuer Indologie und Tamilistik