Cords and bamboo rods in ancient India

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at POST.COM
Tue May 16 09:37:04 UTC 2000

Dear members of Indology,

I am interested in the accuracy of methods for the measuring out and
construction of different arenas and altars in ancient Indian ritual (more
specifically as described in the zulbasUtras).  The methods involves using
cords and bamboo rods.  Is there any good studies (or other literature) on
rope making in ancient India (what materials were used, thickness of a
general rope/cord, etc.)?  I am also interested in similar literature on
bamboo; what sorts of bamboo grow in India, how straight are the bamboo
rods, etc.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen
(Copenhagen/Denmark)