Impact of mantra recital on health

Krishna R krishnar9 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 9 18:50:20 UTC 2000

Since "mantra recital's impact on the subject's health" is only one facet of
the more general question, "Can human suggestion effect unrelated external
events?", it might be interesting to note that extensive scientific research
has been done on this subject by a Princeton University research team
(www.princeton.edu/~pear). After a very lengthy statistical study done by
eminent statisticians, it was concluded that suggestion does have a slight,
but statistically significant role to play in influencing external events.
As is usual, there are some individuals who can do better than others, but
the interesting point of the study was that even the common joe can achieve
quite a bit.  Other interesting findings include: a "connected pair" of
individuals of the opposite sex (like mother-son, husband-wife) can do much
better by combined suggestion.

Any way, I have been watching this group over the www for a while, and it's
been quite informative. My only regret has been that recently the group has
seemingly split into two -- with the amateurs splitting away from the
professionals. From my own (relatively short) experience as a researcher, I
have always found that answering an amateur's seemingly trivial question can
actually help one to understand the strengths and weaknesses of one's own
arguments. Also, I find that now there is no one to dumb down the argument
so that I can understand it too.

Best Wishes,

Krishna
-----