Five-faced lion?

Gautama Vajracharya gvvajrac at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Tue May 9 11:07:20 UTC 2000

Dear Jan,

When a lion roars four directions echo.  The four directions were
considered the lion's additional mouths (mukha).  The artistic
representation of kirtimukha is also associated with this concept.
Regarding kirtimukha you may like to check my recent article on Ashokan
pillars published in MARG December 1999.

Gautama V. Vajracharya