Need infor. on Kavadi and other Indian body piercing rituals (FWD)

Noel Salmond nsalmond at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Thu Mar 30 16:30:44 UTC 2000

Dr. Raymond Prince and a team of medical researchers from Montreal at the
McGill University Dept. of Psychiatry (Institute of Cross-Cultural
Psychiatry) did a study of kaavadi bearing by Tamil Hindus in Kuala Lumpur
(I think this was back in the early 80's). They were investigating the role
of endorphins with the hypothesis that the trance states induced by the
religious preceptors generated these natural pain inhibitors. Dr.Prince is
retired but someone at the institute might be able to put you on to the
paper describing the results of the tests conducted in this study.

Noel Salmond
Carleton University
Ottawa, Canada