P.V.Kane's HDS in abridged form

Axel Michaels axel.michaels at URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Tue Mar 28 10:33:53 UTC 2000

Why an abridged version of what is supposed to be a kind of compendium or English nibandha?
There are shorter publications on sections of the material Kane has collected, e.g. Pandey´s
Hindu Samskaras, Derrett´s fasc. in the History of Ind. Lit., Altekar and Sternbachs bibl. on
Arthasastra, Altekar on education, etc. - not to speak about the topics of Kane´s vol. IV-V
(karma, pilgrimage, tapas, vratas and utsavas etc.) Moreover, there are extensive indices in
each volume, but an Index of these indices would be practically helpful.

Best regards, Axel Michaels

Prof. Dr. Axel Michaels             e-mail:  axel.michaels at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Dept. of Classical Indology        phone:  ++49-6221-548817
South Asia Institute                    fax:       ++49-6221-546338
University of Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330
69120 Heidelberg
Germany