Yavanas

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Thu Mar 23 02:22:54 UTC 2000

Yashwant wrote:
> It remind me something that is completely unrelated to this
> verse. One Jain sect, that once existed near Konkan region
> was named Yaapaniiya in Sanskrit (jaavNiiya in Prakrit). I
> have wondered about the origin of the term.

I would have thought this was quite obvious -- they are a long-lost
tribe of early Japanese tourists who took the wrong turning in Korea
and migrated through Turkic speaking Central Asia into India.  Of
course, this forms part of the neglected JIT, which is another story.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge