Ganakashtadhyayi (ver1.0) - A Software on Panini's Sutras - Errors fixed

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji swamiji at VSNL.COM
Mon Mar 20 23:57:57 UTC 2000

Dear scholars of Indology,

Glad to inform you that we have at last fixed the "Run-time error" noticed
by some users.  I am very much indebted to those scholars who first
downloaded the software and reported to me the frustrating error.  It is
very kind of them to have responded to all my requests privately and to have
repeatedly tested the error-free functioning of the software.

You can now freely download the software, Ganakashtadhyayi (ver 1.0),
offered to you as a small gift on the eve of the Sanskrit year.  The URL is:

http://www.vsna.org/swamiji/panini/win/win_panini.html

As informed earlier, the present version (1.0) is only a preliminary version
containing minimum features:

1. All the Sutras of Panini are given in Roman script using standard
diacritical marks (Complete)
2. Pada-Patha:  Splitting of Sandhis in the Sutras for easy comprehension
(Incomplete)
3. Vrittis on the Sutras as found in the Siddhanta Kaumudi and Laghu Kaumudi
(Incomplete)
4. Provision for English Translation and Explanation has been made
(Incomplete)
5. Sutras can be sorted in the order of Ashtadhyayi, Siddhanta Kaumudi or
Laghu Kaumudi.
6. Some of the commands are made available at a click away using the right
mouse button.

We have tested the software with Internet Explorer (4.0) and Netscape (4.7)
on the operating system Windows 98.  Those of you who cannot download the
self-extracting zipped files (*.exe) at the site and save them to their
system: the problem is with their browser.  Such scholars may inform me
their operating system and the kind of browser they are using and its
version.  Please use my personal e-mail address and not that of the list.
However, Windows NT users are advised NOT to download at all.

Those who have already downloaded the software earlier, are advised to
uninstall the programme from their system (through the control panel) and
once again newly download the program files from the site since many other
bugs in the programme have been fixed.  The data also is updated partially.

I hope that the world community of scholars would like this personal gift
and make use of it in their studies.  Any comments or suggestions for the
improvement of the software are most welcome.

With best wishes,
Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji

* Sri Taralabalu Jagadguru Brihanmath, Sirigere - 577 541, Chitradurga Dist,
Karnataka, India
* Taralabalu Kendra,3rd Main, 2nd Block, RT Nagar, Bangalore - 560 032,
India
* swamiji at vsnl.com   Fax: +91-(0)80-3334541, Tel: +91-(0)80-3332759