Mahabharata question

Alf Hiltebeitel beitel at GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU
Mon Mar 20 18:47:33 UTC 2000

Prof. von Simson's reference is informative with regard to insistence in
Tamil circles that Aravan's (Skt. Iravat's) sacrifice takes place on a new
moon day. This sacrifice to Kali does denote the beginning of the war,
though how the eighteen days would be counted therefrom is something I
have not learned.

Alf Hiltebeitel
Director, Human Sciences Program
Columbian School Professor of Religion and Human Sciences
Human Sciences Program
The George Washington University
2035 F Street, NW
Washington, D.C., 20052