Mahabharata question

Sat Mar 18 06:58:21 UTC 2000

In consonance with the much bemoaned transformation of this list into a
battlefield, partly due to a perceived scientists vs. humanists polarity,
let me ask an astronomical question regarding an ancient battle.

In the Mahabharata, when acting as an envoy for the Pandavas, Krishna parts
from Karna with the statement that the two armies should meet in seven days
time, on a new moon day. Is the epic consistent throughout, in telling us
that the battle started on the new moon day? I would very much appreciate
specific references.

Vidyasankar