Vimanas

Shrinivas Tilak shrinivast at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 16 19:50:15 UTC 2000

    Two years ago Dharmabhaskar,a Marathi monthly, published an article
entitled "Marutsakha" by D.R. Bhave in which the writer explains that Pundit
Shivkar Bapuji Talpade, a graduate of J.J. School of Art, flew a prototype
of aeroplane on the beach in Mumbai (Chowpatty) in 1895 (that is some years
before the Wright Brothers).  Apparently, a large crowd watched the
demonstration including the Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad of Baroda, Justice
Mahadeo Govind Ranade, and Lalji Narayanji. Mr Bhave claims that the British
administration hushed up the whole incident.
    I have seen similar accounts of Mr Talpade's experiments in other Indian
print media including The Times of India (05-09-1995). A photo journalist of
Banglore by the name of Mr Ayyar persuaded the Talpade family to donate his
notes, research papers etc to the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, Banglore some
years ago. But I have not seen any follow up on that. Does anyone on the
list know about any attempts to investigate the claims made on behalf of Mr
Talpade?
    According to Mr Bhave, Mr Talpade based his experiments on some ancient
manuscripts. Mr Bhave may be reached at 401 Anand House, E.M.E. Temple Road,
Fatteganj, Vadodara 390 002.