Dates of written Rgveda

Krishna Kalale kkalale1 at SAN.RR.COM
Fri Mar 10 17:25:45 UTC 2000

unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From:   Swaminathan Madhuresan [SMTP:smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM]
Sent:   Friday, March 10, 2000 8:25 AM
To:     INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
Subject:        Re: Dates of written Rgveda

Dr. Farmer,

Generally, Indologists date the Rig Veda to around 1200 BCE.
After the Indus valley culture declined around 1700 BCE, Aryan
migrations tookplace spreading Indo-Iranian language into India.
Sanskrit developed out of it. In the Indus culture, Dravidian, not Sanskrit,
was the high language. See A. Parpola, Deciphering the Indus script,
Cambridge.

Of course, Manu smrthi was written after 3rd cent. BCE giving
supremacy to Varnashrama system.

Regards,
SM