Pluralism, Texts, and Oaths

Raveen S. Nathan tawady at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 10 00:34:49 UTC 2000

From:    Noel Salmond <nsalmond at CCS.CARLETON.CA>
Subject: Re: Pluralism, Texts, and Oaths

At 11:36 AM 3/9/00 -0800, you wrote:

>>Many Tamils take oath with Tirukkural in courts,
>>swearing in
>>ceremonies, weddings. For a good translation,
>>K. R. Srinivasa Iyengar, Tirukkural, an English
verse >>rendering,
>>M. P. Birla Foundation, 1988.
>>P.S.Sundaram, The Kural, Penguin is easily
available.

>Would this be a text also used by Tamils from Sri
Lanka >for the same purposes?What is the policy of the
Indian >courts with regard to the use ofsacred texts
for oaths, >is it optional altogether? Was or is their
use debated
>given the commitment to secularism? in abysmal
>ignorance, but with many thanks

>Noel Salmond

If the Sri Lankan Tamils are Christians then the Bible
will do, if they are Mulsims then the Holy Quran will
do and if they are Hindus then the Bhagawat Gita or
Thirukural would do. If they are agnostics (like me)
and atheists then ask them :-)

good luck.

Raveen