Syncretism in premodern India

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Thu Mar 9 22:26:14 UTC 2000

I'm a comparative historian who has spent much of the past two decades
studying syncretic processes in manuscript traditions in 14th - 17th
century Eurasia. Parts of those studies have led to the construction of
computer simulations of the part that syncretic processes played on the
development extreme scholastic/correlative systems. (For an abstract of a
recent paper, see http://www.safarmer.com/abstract.html.)

Most of my research has been conducted on Chinese and European scholastic
systems - using, e.g., the textual evidence is extreme Western syncretists
like Pico della Mirandola (1463-94). Could anyone on the List point me to any
of the scholarly literature that deals specifically with syncretic
developments
in premodern India (up through the 16th century CE)? It is not difficult
find good examples of sycretic phenomena in the primary literature, but so
far I have only been able to dig up a handful of useful secondary sources.
Thanks in advance,

Steve Farmer, Ph.D.
http://www.safarmer.com/pico/