Saraswati: Atomic Scientists reconfirm location

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 9 13:43:03 UTC 2000

Dr. Wujastyk said:
I'm afraid that I neither trust nor believe anything said by atomic
scientists about humanistic subjects (or most other subjects).  Let's try
to keep this list scholarly, shall we!

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.

VA asks: Before I spend my money, I request the mainstream Indologists for
their opinion on Rajesh Kochar's book. I ask because Dr. Kochar is neither a
trained philologist nor a professional indologist, and his area of expertise
(astrophysics) is intimately related to atomic science. Morever, just a few
months back, one mainstream Indologists from India complimented this work as
"one of the best from India in recent years" while a Western Indologist
heaved a sigh of relief and said that "at least there is one Indian who has
written something that is not biased" (to paraphrase).And yet another
mainstream Indologist thinks that Sarawati is in heaven, i.e., neither in
India/Pakistan, nor in Afghanistan. Whereas some mainstream Indologists
place the river in Afghanistan.

The various postings under the thread make a good study and I will braodcast
and publicize them in various forums of the laity and the academia. The
readers will then decide who amongst the various Indologists are genuine
scholars (I know that there are many), mediocre/intelligent academics who
hold Eurocentric notions? Of if they include in their ranks the followers of
Macaulay too.

Science can also sometimes approach Theology in dogmatism, but not to the
extent that Indology seems to. This is really sad. The importance of science
can hardly be over-estimated, and I hope of a greater collaboration between
the various fields of knowledge.

Regards

Vishal