Again, SANSKRIT broadcasts + M.Muller

Wed Jun 28 14:14:38 UTC 2000

Ah, the Summer doldrums...

Krishna:
> What gotra did you use?

sa-vatsala-gotra, of course.

Subrahmanya:
> about 10 years ago I heard one person in Bangalore
>refer to him as mokSa mallara bhaTTa !!. This
>person mentioned that Max Mueller gave himself this name - a myth
> perhaps.

Evam me matam.It can be checked easily in 19thc., and even in early 20th c.
publications... Certainly used upto independence 1947, of which he was
regarded as an early forerunner..

Vidyasankar:
> KAmasetunagara-haridvAra-vizvavidyAlayAt,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Too much translation there...  ... just sounds similar, e.g. California =
>kapilAraNya, propounded by the late you-know-whom. :) If you can find a
>suitable mythology for it, even better!

Something with Kaalii- certainly is better, earthquakes and all(!) ...
It must have been Kaali-parNya when it was first settled by the Maya ( <
maayaa) and related  peoples from Bharata (see Chaman Lal, Hindu America),
and remember all those S. Indian names derived from palm trees (on this
list)?

As for Cam-bride, instead of kaama- I will settle, from personal
experience, for the much more approriate artha... Thus: kampraijya 'to be
offered while shaking',  as any goat does at Calcutta or in Nepal
(headshake means agreement to be slaughtered!)...
Or,  Kambugriiva-setu, or rather, much more proper for these distant
western Mleccha neighbors of India, an apabhraMza form of:  Kaamboja-preSya
'inhabited by the Kamboja servants' > kaampreSya > with recent popular
English etymology, Cam-bridge (the same must apply to the other Cambridge
in Anguli-sthaana, see PN Oak) .

>> >Naaaaah! "Koln" i.e. Cologne seems to have come from "Kula heena"(
>> lacking caste)!
R.Zydenbos:
> should be obvious that 'Koeln'
>(as the misleading prakritic French name, with its three syllables, also
>suggests) is actually 'kuliina', "of eminent descent", in Monier-Williams'
>definition. Na vaa? :-)

Astu:

Dr. Zydenbos, having changed his address from S. India to teach at the
Universitas litterarum  of  Kuliina-nagara  in Zaarmanyadeza, knows from
the horse's mouth, and from his intimate knowledge of the Lower Franconian
apabhraMza, spoken at Cologne and further down the Rhine in the countries
of the Batavi and Belgae, that Cologne stands for the following:
the Roman name from early post-Augustan times, Colonia (i.e. Colonia
Claudia  Ara Agrippinensium), indicates that this is an adaptation, in the
Latin Prakrit of Sanskrit (vide Talageri et al.), of kuliina or, as Yaaska
would insist, kalaajna or rather, and that is the siddhaanta:  kalyaaNa!
Na, tu: certainly not from kaalanemi, or kulahiina where, even with
'parokSapriyaa hi devaaH", you don't get the etymology!

Kamboja-nagare, Haridvardhana-vizvavidyaalayaad, bhavadiiyaat Vatsalamihiraat.

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:  http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs