Krishna as avatarin?

Tue Jun 20 23:41:54 UTC 2000

>This seems to be the general stance not only of Advaita, but of the
>'greater tradition' overall, including southern Vaishnavism and the
>puranas/agamas/etc. (The Brahmavaivarta passage that you mention is an
>interesting exception; would you know the exact reference?)

See prakRti khaNDa and kRshNajanma khaNDa of the purANa - Sacred Books of
the Hindus, vol 24, (2 parts), Allahabad: S. N. Vasu, 1920-22. Also see
discussions in J. N. Farquhar, An Outline of the Religious Literature of
India, Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1967, and S. K. De, Early History of the
Vaishnava Faith and Movement in Bengal, from Sanskrit and Bengali Sources,
Calcutta: K. J. Mukhopadhyaya, 1967.

Re: my earlier remarks about checking S. N. Dasgupta's volumes for nimbArka
- you can take them as a general overview of each school, but if you want to
find out who said what and how, don't rely on it exclusively.

Vidyasankar